Friday, March 10, 2017

Picking my genre

Friday, March 10th, 2017

   I love photography, (both digital and darkroom photography) so when I had the option to do either a film opening or a magazine, my immediate impulse was to go for the magazine. At first it was extremely difficult for me to come up with a specific genre. I began looking into things I liked; quirky tv shows, British pop bands, Spanish rock (weird mixture), psychology and philosophy books, but really nothing inspired me enough to create an entire magazine on it. Then while working on some photography projects, I decided that I wanted to incorporate very artsy and unusual photographs to my magazine. I wanted my final project to be creative and different. As I have been conducting my reasearch I came across this text that made me realize which genre would best fit the type of magazine style I am going for. It reads as Follows:


The ‘INDIE’ magazine is one of the most unusual ones, I have ever seen. The reason for that is that there are no text features except the masthead, the ‘tag’ line, and price information. It means that this magazine’s editors intend their target audience to buy issues, relying only on the photography. It is a rather brave step, because it doesn’t attract new audiences. However, it is a solid support of the house style.


   After reading this, I decided that my genre would be an indie fashion magazine. I have always been fascinated by all sorts of art that incorporate strange and unusual elements. The reason I chose indie instead of just a regular fashion magazine, is because of the fact that the indie genre is very unusual and artistic. As I was conducting my research, I found one particular magazine (Fireflies) that really struck me because of its simple and unconventional style. 










  

 This magazine focuses on celebrating the work of writers and other artist. I really like the layout of this particular magazine, however my magazine will be focused on fashion rather writing. I would like for my magazine to mirror the very straightforward and uncomplicated style of this magazine. Because the target audience for Indie magazines is most 18-35 year olds (primarily female) who are typically more focused on the photography of the magazine than the actual content, I will try to put most of my focus in making my magazine very aesthetically appealing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment